You just bought a beautiful blazer that cost you a pretty penny.
The last thing you want is for it to get ruined after the first wash. So, how can you make sure your clothes stay in good condition and last as long as possible?
It all starts with understanding how to care for your clothes properly. Different fabrics require different methods of care, but some general tips apply to most clothes. Stay on this page as we delve into the details.
Choosing the right detergent
You want a detergent that’s gentle on your clothes but cleans well.
A lot of detergents also have fabric-specific options that are designed to protect delicate textiles. So before you do any laundry, take a moment to read the detergent label and choose one that’s suitable.
Drying and storing expensive clothes
Here are a few tips:
- Never put them in the dryer, as this can damage the fabric and shorten their lifespan.
- If you need to store them, invest in a good storage container or garment bag. This will help protect them from dust, insects, and other unfavorable elements.
- Hang clothes on a hanger to avoid wrinkles. Your hanger’s size and design are important since the fabric will overstretch and develop unattractive deformities if the hangers are too wide. Tip: to keep clothing from falling off, invest in some sturdy wooden hangers with non-slip ends.
How to properly clean expensive clothes
Here are a few recommendations on how to do just that:
- Hand-wash delicates.
If an item is particularly delicate, hand-washing is always the best option. Use a mild detergent and lukewarm water, and be sure to rinse thoroughly.
- Read and follow the care label.
The care label is there for a reason, so make sure you’re following the instructions. If you’re not certain about something, err on the side of caution and take it to a professional.
- Invest in a good-quality brush and steamer.
A steamer is a great way to get wrinkles out of clothing without damaging the fabric. And a good quality brush will help remove debris and lint without spoiling the fabric.
Don’t want the hassle? Well, if you have the money to spare, rely on professionals for all your cleaning needs then. Such services are there to guarantee that your clothes will be handled with care by those who know how to deal with high-end brands and materials. So take your clothes to a local cleaner, and save the trouble of having to do it yourself.